Thursday 20 December 2012

Vivienne Westwood at the V&A

 I have always liked Vivienne Westwood's designs, and when I saw this I knew I had to research into it. Although I had an idea that it might've been influenced by the 18th century, I had no idea that this was the case when I saw the dress.


"Satin and flocked tulle gown by Vivienne Westwood. Created for Lay Bianca Job-Tyoran to wear to Queen Charlotte's Ball, 1994. Museum no. T14-1997. Given by Lady Bianca Job-Tyoran."
"Vivienne Westwood created this romantic dress for Lady Bianca Job-Tyoran to wear to Queen Charlotte’s Ball in 1994. This élite charity event has effectively taken over the role of court presentations: etiquette demands that women wear white dresses and pearls are considered appropriate jewellery. Vivienne Westwood’s design provided the grand statement that the occasion demands. Inspired by 18th-century rococo motifs, she gave the dress a modern note by shredding the tulle skirt."
(http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O83545/evening-dress-westwood-vivienne/)

No comments:

Post a Comment