Wednesday 2 January 2013

Shelly Rhodes

Shelly uses manipulation, wear and tear, and distress to create the effects she wants with her chosen textiles.


"I like the idea of fragmentation followed by reconstruction. I enjoy the selection process of rearranging and reassembling small elements to make a whole. I am currently exploring ways of 'fixing' and 'repairing'.
My mixed media work combines paper, drawings and prints with painted and dyed fabric. Sometimes, I incorporate found objects, pins, staples and wire. The work is built up in layers with the stitch sometimes becoming embedded in the piece. I use very simple hand and machine stitches to enhance and emphasize areas. I use the needle and thread as another mark making tool or as a joining mechanism." - http://textilestudygroup.co.uk/members/shelley-rhodes/ 


 Etching with Stitch


Stitch detail


Screen Printing

No comments:

Post a Comment